Stone's Tavern was built when General Mad Anthony Wayne and his men widened an Indian trail north and west of Fort Wayne to make wagon travel possible. Richard Stone built the present structure in 1839. The tavern was the center of activity from quilting bees , town meetings, post office, stagecoach stop, jury room, dance hall and rest stop for the weary traveler or drover. The building was operated as a tavern from 1839 until about the time of the Civil war when it was sold. At the time of the sale, both Ligonier and Wolf Lake were growing towns and each had a new hotel. The value of the tavern was lost and it was then used as a home and later as a barn In 1965, Mr. Graydon Blue, a local druggist, convinced the owner, Mrs. Mary Slagle, that he could save the building. Mrs. Slagle donated the tavern and three acres of land to the hurriedly organized historical society.