The 1,200-acre park, with approximately 40 miles of Chickamauga Lake shoreline, was originally developed as a Tennessee Valley Authority recreation demonstration area in the 1930's. Its name is derived from a large bay at the main channel of the Tennessee River that covers the old town of Harrison, and the last Cherokee Campground. The parklands are of historic significance because the Cherokee Campground consisted of three villages which were ruled by one of the last great Cherokee Chieftains, Chief Joe Vann. The campground, group camp and swimming pool at the park are accessible to persons with a disability. All types of boats and water recreation vehicles are allowed at the park. Boats are not available for rent. There are 128 RV campsites with water and electrical hookups and a limited number that can accomodate RV's up to 65 ft. Enjoy lake fishing at the park. Expect catches of bass, bluegill and catfish. The park's group camp consists of 24 rustic cabins that can accommodate up to 144 persons.