Henry Lewis, a Welsh Quaker, was one of the first three European settlers in Haverford Township. Arriving in 1682, he built his home on 500 acres and named it Maen Coch, meaning Red Stone, the name of his village in Wales. In 1700 Henry Lewis, Jr. built the first section of the mansion, which is presently the drawing room. In 1730 he added the library and stair hall. The property was sold in 1750 to Captain John Wilcox by Henry Lewis, III. Wilcox added to the house; made changes in the original structure to provide a large, more formal room for entertaining; and changed the name to Clifton Hall. Charles Cruikshank purchased the estate in 1761. His daughter, Clementina, married John Ross, a Philadelphia merchant, at Clifton Hall in 1768. Cruikshank was a Loyalist and left the country immediately after the Revolution, but his son-in- law, Ross, was very active in the American cause. In May 1776, John Ross was commissioned by Congress to procure clothes, arms and powder for the use of the army. Ross advanced his own money and was never fully recompensed. He purchased the property in 1782. During his ownership, many of the influential men of the time were entertained here, including Lafayette, Knox, Mifflin and Washington.