The Hermitage, a National Historic Landmark, is located on five acres of lawn shaded by centuries-old trees. The site is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places. The fourteen-room Gothic Revival home was built in 1847-48 from designs by William H. Ranlett for Elijah Rosencrantz Jr. The museum has two main collections: The Hermitage, or State of New Jersey Collection, and the Friends of the Hermitage Collection, developed largely by donations. In these collections, the museum acquires, preserves, and conserves objects from 1750 through the 20th century. The museum collections are noted for their range of historic clothing as well as personal items and papers relating to the Rosencrantz family who inhabited the property for 163 years. The Hermitage is furnished as it appeared in the 1890s and shows the influence of one family’s continuous occupation of the house from 1807 to that time. As such, the collection is largely Victorian, but it does include items dating back to the 18th century. Since the family continued living in the house into the 20th century, items from this period are included in our collections, as well, but are not displayed in the house. These items can be seen in a variety of exhibitions and are available for study by qualified researchers by prior appointment. Decorative Arts: Hudson River School paintings, paintings by members of the Rosencrantz family, portraits, prints, decorative metal and wooden frames. Victorian- period household items include kitchenware, tableware, lamps, and tools dating to the mid- 19th century. Toys, Games, and Recreation: Victorian dolls, athletic trophies won by Rosencrantz family members, musical instruments, and a wide variety of toys and games.