Shakespeare Ghost Town is the remains of a pioneer- southwestern town. From a small settlement on the stage and emigrant trail to California, it grew in 1870 with a silver strike and the diamond swindle to a town of 3000 people as Ralston City, or the Burro Mines. After the diamond bubble burst it dwindled to 50 persistent miners. In 1879 other miners changed the name of the town to Shakespeare. The town has been owned since 1935 by the Hill Family and they have tried to preserve the old buildings and history without commercializing the place. The guided tour of the buildings takes about 1 1/2 hours. Visitors may then walk the marked trails to see other foundations, stage coach trail and spring water well. Visitors may climb the small hill to view the town as a whole and see the mines to the south.