The Mecklenburg County Training School had an important impact on this area's educational system and is has historical significance. Open from 1925-1942, the school touched the lives of many residents, some of whom still reside within our local communities. Its location was just behind the current R. T. Arnold library in the Town of South Hill. While the school no longer stands, an historic marker was erected by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources to commemorate the structure. The Mecklenburg County Training School Exhibit is in the galleries on the second floor of the Colonial Center for the Performing Arts in South Hill, VA.